Copenhagen, Continued

We had heard of Tivoli, of course, long before we went there. Our dear neighbor Frank had cautioned us, "And you must go to Tivoli." We went, Frank, not once, but twice.

It is unlike anything I've been to anywhere else, although the long-demolished Willow Grove Park does come to mind. Tivoli is a combination of a huge park with a relaxing area for families and play area for children, concert and other entertainment venues, amusement rides (some of which we referred to as "stomach dumpers"), and about forty-five restaurants. 

It is huge, pleasant, and romantic; we saw many young couples enamored with both each other and the place. Both nights that we were in Copenhagen, we walked over to Tivoli, strolled around, and had delicious Danish dinners.


























One day we went to a museum called the Glyptotek (I was quite smitten with the name). It was a regular art museum, but so beautiful. We had a delicious lunch in its botanical garden.

Now might be a good time to talk about money. We had obtained  some cash in the currencies for each of the three countries we would visit, and as it turned out, we didn't need any cash at all. Literally everyplace had little wireless credit card swipers: restaurants, taxicabs, hotels, shops, coffee places. For a long, long time it seemed that the only time we needed "real money" was when we went into a museum and had to check Joe's backpack in a locker. But even then, we could borrow a coin from the desk and return it to them after use.

There was one place in Sweden that did not have one of the card swipers, and they were happy to accept U.S. dollars!

This picture shows what I found to be the most beautiful part in Copenhagen. Truly, my eyes filled up with tears as I stood there. This wasn't particularly unusual, however; joy had affected me that way several other times on our trip.

I had bought a print of this scene, and as it turns out, I like my own photograph just as much. Here are some additional views from this area, which is filled with indoor-outdoor restaurants, crowds of people (many walking dogs), and delicious mojito-flavored water ice!



We did so much in Copenhagen, but I imagine there is still more that we would have enjoyed if we had had another day. But we didn't. It was time to get to the airport to fly to our final destination city: Stockholm, Sweden!


Comments

antique quilter said…
what an incredible trip
oh I LOVE that picture you took too the colors of the houses and boats being on the water
oh my....I would frame that...
Kathie
Janet O. said…
Oh, I think I would love to visit Copenhagen. Tivoli looks like an amazing place--at night the lighting is fantastic!
PBS travel shows are one of my DH's favorite things, and that row of colored buildings along the water is something we have seen and "oohed and aahed" over several times. Great shot. Love it!
Gretchen said…
Gorgeous photos. I could have done without the scary clown bust (shiver) but the ballerina makes up for it. I just adore the candy-colored houses--reminds me of the Battery in Charleston too.
Denise in PA said…
Looks like a lot of fun! And, I remember the old Willow Grove Park! o:)
The best part is that a place you have dreamed of does not disappoint in the reality of it. My first trip to England was like that, exactly what I imagined it to be. I am so glad that you made this journey. Lovely photos.