Vacation, August, 2010

Joe and I are spending a week at the Chautauqua Institution in western New York State.  I've written about this place on this blog in the past and won't do so in very much detail now.  We are staying in a tiny apartment and are soaking up culture and philosophy; we are resting and reading.  He is sailing and also taking a class in chair caning.

The theme this week is "Sacred Spaces," and as always has been thought-producing.  I may (or may not) write more about that.

It is good to be here, to be away from some of the stress that Joe has been under in recent weeks.  I brought Bernina along, but haven't opened her.  Instead, I've been embroidering baby bibs and reading when I'm not attending an event.  Yesterday morning we heard Ken Burns speak on sacred space; he returns to the amphitheatre tomorrow night for a talk on Gettysburg, I believe.  Tonight the Chautauqua Symphony Orchestra is on stage.

I am quiet, but I am alive and well.  And thinking.




Comments

Pat said…
Many peaceful, quiet, joyous blessings to you and Joe.
KQ Sue said…
Boy, I wish I was there!
Salem Stitcher said…
It sounds wonderful and restful and renewing. Enjoy!
Anonymous said…
Nancy,
Looks like a great vacation! I received my charm pack yesterday, thanks! Gorgeous line of fabric.
Kathy B
Lori said…
Very nice to be able to get away and relax. I knew you were on vacay because I emailed and haven't heard back, which is very unlike you. Enjoy your week!
altar ego said…
I would love to go to Chautauqua ssometime. We have a micro version of the idea here in TN, at The Monteagle Assembly. I was able to hear Bruce Feiler speak there one evening--great time, and I was able to stay on the grounds for several weeks at the end of the season when parishioners offered me their place for vacation time. Time away at such a retreat is a wonderful gift. I can imagine totally what your week is like. Sacred spaces are among my favorite subjects. Wish I could be there soaking it up!
Denise in PA said…
Sounds very relaxing. We are taking the family to Disney World next week - NOT relaxing! I hope you come back refreshed and rested!
quiltmom anna said…
Enjoy your rest and relaxation Nancy- it sounds like an inspiring and thought provoking place.Like you we are going on a short vacation.
We are off to Jasper Alberta to the mountains for a few days. I will post when I return- there are even a couple of quilt stores to visit on the way.VBG
Warmest regards,
Anna