Carmen

I've mentioned previously, I think, that Joe and I are not aficianados of opera. This seems odd, because we subscribe to the Philadelphia Orchestra and never miss an orchestra night when we're at Chautauqua. We like the instrumental versions of opera, but don't attend performances.

Besides Wagner's opera music, the music from "Carmen" has always been a favorite. I always turn up the radio when the Bizet's Suite is playing. Unlike people who actually go to the opera, I don't envision scenes from the performance when I hear the music.

Just to show you how old I really am, for a long time I would see scenes from the original, Walter Matthau version, of "The Bad News Bears," which used the Carmen music as the background. It was a fine movie, and the music was perfect.

Then in the late '80s, everything changed. My kids got a device that hooked up to the television and you could play games on it. It was called Nintendo, and it was foreign to me. But one night one of them said, "Here, Mom, try this. You'll like it. It's called Tetris."

My first and only insight into addiction. Tetris consumed me! I played during the day when they were at school and my work was finished. I played during the homework hour at night. I couldn't get enough of it. I would see the shapes floating down before my eyes at the most unlikely times. When I won, a wonderful selection from "Carmen" would play and fireworks would go off around the onion domes. It was glorious.

I'm not sure how it came to an end, but it did, and order resumed in our household. I note through Google that there are computer versions available. I don't dare get one: Either I'd get hooked again and chaos would resume or -- worse -- I'd discover that the charm was gone.

But golly I miss it whenever I hear that music.


Comments

Mrs. Goodneedle said…
I was amazed, when I learned it, that it was possible to play Tetris (or Pac Man, or Dick Hunt for that matter) without the sound. My son looked at me perplexed as to why anyone would want to do that! Enjoy the opera.
graceamazes said…
Confession: another Tetris addict here... but I played it on the computer. Still do -- there are online sites and I have a CD with 4 (I think) variations! But I don't think any of them have Bizet music...

p.s. I used to dream of the shapes! That's when I knew I'd gone a bit too far. Giving it up for Lent one year was PAINFUL!

Work verification "zomenje" -- the Balkan undead
The Calico Cat said…
Tetris was the ONLY video game that I "could" play. I wasn't clever enough to play the ones where someone attacked you...

My connotations to Opera (& the like) involve figure skaters...
SallyB said…
Italian opera! Puccini! Tragic characters! Gorgeous music that makes you feel downright Italian! La Bohéme....sublime and amazing opera! Madama Butterfly....and so many more Puccini creations! How could one not love opera after listening to Puccini or even Verdi operas?

Prepare a delicious Italian meal complemented with some good Italian wine and play Italian opera while consuming....I guarantee, it's SO romantic!

Word verification: Windevi, Italian window cleaner!
Diana said…
OK, I have to confess now that I was also a Tetris addict back in the day! No Carmen, but those shapes would follow me wherever I went. I went through a rather painful withdrawal when we upgraded computers and the old version wouldn't play on my new one. Is it a quilting thing--trying to fit all those shapes together?
Lorraine said…
I too was a Tetris fan....it was the only one I couldl play!! I wasn't good at the shooting / dodging games......but the shapes...fitting them all in......that I could handle...haven't played in a while though...perhaps I should look up the online version...perhaps not! I have a friend who gave her daughter the PS Singstar for her sixth birthday....with Abba songs....who plays it most....it isn't the kids!!
word verification: psylog - a creature who lives with trolls under bridges
*karendianne. said…
Never played it man. Wasn't into it. Out with the horses I guess. I was a child-slave.