"A Three Hour Tour, A Three Hour Tour"


It's impossible, of course, to sum up the past two weeks in a way that comes anywhere near explaining how wonderful our vacation was. I'll do a few separate posts to tell about different parts of our adventure.
. . . .
We arrived in Piraeus on July 14th and boarded our home for the next week -- it was 4 o'clock in the afternoon, and the sundeck was decorated, music was playing, the crew was on hand to welcome us, drinks and goodies were in abundance. What a fantastic way to begin! We found our cabin, had a tiny nap, and they set out to explore the ship.
. . . .
Joe quickly fell into a pattern of going above deck between 5:30 and 6:00 each day to greet the sun as it rose. Both of us had to be on deck each time the sails were raised as we left a port, and also as we pulled in and anchored at each port. I knew that he was going to love this part of the trip; I didn't realize that I was going to love it, too.
. . . .
I wanted you to have an idea of what our home looked like. The picture above is one I took on our last full day at sea. The tenders were lowered and we were taken far enough from Star Flyer that we could take pictures of her with all of her sails up. Of course, on a clipper ship, one never knows what might happen, and what happened this day was that one of the tenders lost her steering and drifted off to the horizon. We were taken back to the gangway to reboard the ship so that the tender we had been on could speed off to assist the ailing tender. Meanwhile, Star Flyer set sail in the same direction, and shortly the crew and passengers of "The Minnow" were rescued before they landed on Gilligan's Isle.
. . . .
Next Post: An Ancient Ruin Ponders Other Ancient Ruins

Comments

LoieJ said…
Looking forward to reading more. And Sat. I fly to Philly.
atet said…
How wonderful! I can't wait to hear all about your trip.
Susan said…
What a beautiful ship. I would have wanted to be up to watch the raising and lowering of the sails, too. I've always thought (from my nice safe chair) that it would be lovely to sail on a Cutty Sark. Without a motor, I'd no doubt be terrified, and the accomodations certainly wouldn't be as much fun as modern ones, but it *sounds* so fabulous, and I know I'd love the sails.